SH3346 7066. Inscribed stone in use as window lintel in a barn (now in an outbuilding) of Penseri farm, Trecastell, Lanfaelog, Anglesey. It is a rectangular shaped slab-stone with a Latin inscription on its face in memory of MAILISI – ‘From the grave of Mailisus’. On the left edge an Ogham inscription recalling the same person. The stone is thought to date from the 5th or 6th century AD.
SO0730 1310. Pillar-stone at Cwm Criban, Pontsticill, Powys. This stone has a worn Latin inscription in memory of MAQI – ‘Son of Maqi’ on its face and an Ogham inscription on its left edge to the same person MAQIDECEDA. It probably dates from the 5th-6th century AD and measures 1.6 metres x 0.3 metres, and was discovered in 1694.
SH4820 4554. Located in Llystyngwyn farmyard, Brynkir, Dolbenmaen, Gwynedd. A slabstone measuring 1.2 x 1.9 metres from the 6th century AD. There is a Latin inscription in three lines to the memory of ICORIFILIVS POTENTI NI – ‘Icorix son of Potentinus. On the right edge an Ogham inscription to the same person ICORIGAS or ICORIX.
SN4229 5772. In St David’s church at Llanarth, Cardiganshire, a cross-inscribed stone 1.4 metres high, dating from the 5th-6th century AD. An incised Latin cross (9th-10th century?) on the face of the stone, while on the shaft a Latin inscription to GURHI RST or GURHIRT. On the left edge a dubious Ogham inscription in memory of TRENALUGOS a Romano-British person. Gurhirt could have been an Irish chieftain from the 6th century AD?
SH5343 3784. In St Michael’s church at Treflys, near Morfa Bychan, Gwynedd, a pillar-stone 1.3 metres high from the 6th century AD. The stone has a chi-rho cross and a Latin inscription on its face to IACONVSF IL IV SMINI IACIT which is translated as ‘Jaconus, son of Minus lies here’. An Ogham inscription on the left edge as been damaged and is not readable now.
SN4560 3990. At St Michael’s church, Llanvihangel-Ar-Arth, near Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire. In the vestry a stone has a Romano-British inscription HIC JACET ULCANUS FILIUS SENOMACILI or ‘Here lies the stone of Ulcagnus, son of Senomaglus’, dating from the 5th-6th century AD.
SO1804 9238. A stone built into the buttress (south wall) of St Michael’s church at Llanvihangel-Cum-Du near Crickhowel, Powys. This stone had been used as a stepping stone over a brook. An inscription (now worn) recalls CATACUS -‘Catacus, son of Tegernacus’, of the 6th century AD. Another stone, 3 foot long, forms a windowsill in the chancel. One side has a ring cross of the 6th-8th century AD and also, a rather worn Latin inscription.
SH4550 6071. Three stones in the abandoned St Baglan’s church half a mile NW of Llanfaglan, near Caernarfon, Gwynedd. Windowsill has an inscribed gravestone of the 5th century AD in memory of a Romano-Britain LOVER NUS FILI or LAVERNUS FILI ANATEMORI -‘Stone of Anatemori, son of Lovernius’. A second stone acting as a window lintel has a Celtic cross and a third stone also has an incised cross, both probably dating from the 10th century AD.
SN2282 1115. In Llandawke church near Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, a thin slab-stone of the 5th-6th century AD. The stone has an Ogham inscription on its edge and a Latin inscription recalling HIC JACET BARIVEND VENDVBARI which translated is ‘Here lies Barrivend, son of Vendubari. The Ogham inscription also includes the word MAQI – Son of ?
SJ0342 0976. In St Erfyl’s church at Llanerfyl, Powys, a gravestone with a Latin inscription of the Romano-British period 5th-6th century AD in memory of:- HIC IN TUMULO IACIT ROSTEECE FILI PATERNINI ANI XIII IN PACE which when translated is ‘Here in the tomb lies Rustica, daughter of Paterninus, Aged 13 in peace’. The stone originally stood in the churchyard.