SK 8566 2490. The cross stands in St Bartholomew’s churchyard on Saltby road at the far north side of Sproxton village. The A607 road runs along the south-side of the village. Grantham is 5 miles to the north. The 12th century Norman parish church can be found on a hill, just north of Manor farm.
In the churchyard, near the south porch, stands a limestone cross dating from the 10th or 11th century that is referred to as being Anglo-Norse in origin. It stands at 7 foot 9 inches on a 19th century base-stone that is over 2 foot square. Sometimes described as a “weeping cross” because of the way it leans! The monument is said to be the only complete cross in Leicestershire. It’s wheel-head is rather odd-shaped and small in size but very nice all the same; the rectangular shaft has what is called a “raised collar” halfway up.
Of the three faces, the east side is heavily worn, due to it being used as a footbridge over a stream near Saltby; the west face has two creatures, one of which is the eagle of St John the Evangelist. Lower down a standing beast with raised feet that may be a wolf with a broad, curving tail that ends with interlacing. The north face of the cross has interlocking circles. On the side of the cross winding stems forming circles, while the wheel-head also has stems and foliage within the curves.
The church of St Bartholomew is a Norman foundation of the 12th century and does not appear to have any earlier, Saxon work. In the south-west wall there is an interesting stone with zig-zag moulding. This is thought to date from the 11th-12th century.
Nichols, John., History and Antiquities of The County of Leicestershire, 1794.
Routh, T.E., Transactions of The Leicestershire Archaeological Society, Vol XX, 1937.